Sauteed Spinach with Bell Peppers and Crimini Mushrooms
Sautéed Spinach with Bell Peppers and Crimini Mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound Crimini Mushrooms (brushed clean and halved)
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 medium Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 Yellow or Red Bell Peppers (cored and seeded then cut into thin julienne)
- 12 cup Young Spinach Leaves (trimmed)
- 1 tablespoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2-tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, cut side down, and sprinkle in the lemon zest. Cook, without shaking the pan or stirring, until the mushrooms are a nice golden brown, about 8 minutes (have patience and confidence here!).
Add the onions and the peppers, and stir thoroughly. Sauté until the onions and peppers are soft and translucent, about 6 to 7 minutes.
Raise the heat to high and allow the mushroom mixture to sizzle.
Add the spinach and deglaze with red wine vinegar. Cook quickly, stirring, until spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice, season with salt to taste and the pepper, and serve immediately.