Braised Eggplant and Tomatoes
- 1 large eggplant, halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 14-oz can whole tomatoes (about 3-4 tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Pre-heat oven to 400 F. Film the bottom of a 9×9 pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then place eggplant halves inside, cut sides up. Sprinkle each half with about 1/4 teaspoon salt. Reserve the remaining salt for later use.
In a small skillet over medium heat, sauté onions in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until translucent, about five minutes. Stir in the tomato, basil, parsley, and remaining salt until combined, then scoop the tomato mixture on top of the eggplant. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 10 minutes.
Baste the eggplant with the liquid in the pan, then re-cover and bake for 15 more minutes. Baste again and bake until eggplants are soft and tender, uncovered, about 20 additional minutes.