Tuscan Kale with Anchovies, Golden Raisins and Nuts
Tuscan Kale with Anchovies, Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1-2 bunches (14 to 16 ounces each) Tuscan kale, ribs removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of hot red chile flakes, Kosher or Sea Salt
- 4 anchovy fillets, minced
Put the raisins in a small bowl and cover with warm water. Set aside to plump for 30 minutes, then drain. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the kale and boil until it just tender, 5-6 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking. Drain again and squeeze dry. Chop coarsely. Preheat oven to 325°F. Toast the pine nuts on a small baking sheet until golden, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over moderately low heat. Add the garlic and chile flakes sauté until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat, let it cool for a minute, then add the anchovies. Stir until they dissolve in the warmth of the skillet. Return the skillet to moderately low heat and add the kale, drained raisins, toasted pine nuts and salt to taste. Cook, stirring, until all the ingredients are well distributed and the greens are hot throughout. Serve immediately.