Escarole and Sausage Dinner Soup
- up to a pound of sausage of just about any kind
- 1-2 onions or leeks cleaned and diced
- 2-6 garlic cloves minced or roughly chopped
- 1-2 cups cooked beans (white, pinto, garbanzo…. yes, its fine to use a can of beans!)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (about 2 cups or 15 oz.)
- 2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- Parmesan rind, if available
- 2-5 cups cleaned chopped escarole or other cooking green such as chard, dandelions, kale, and spinach.
Brown the sausage, drain off excess fat if there’s lots, then remove the sausage for just a bit. Add the onions to brown in the sausage drippings and cook until translucent then add the garlic and cook for a few seconds more. Then quickly add the beans and tomatoes and broth and parmesan rind. Add the sausage back and bring the pot to a low boil. Then add the cooking greens and cook through. (3-4 minutes for escarole, less for young spinach, more for kale or collards….) Serve.