Spinach and Leek White Bean Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 leeks, bulb only, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 2 (16 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic; saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, cannellini beans, bay leaves and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and stir in the couscous. Cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.