Skirt Steak with Corn Cakes
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup corn kernels (from 1 to 2 ears), plus more for serving
- sour cream, fresh salsa, grated Cheddar, cut-up avocado, fresh cilantro, hot sauce, and lime wedges, for serving
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with the chili powder and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center and add the milk, egg, and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Whisk together the wet ingredients, then incorporate the dry ingredients (do not overmix). Mix in the corn.
Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, drop heaping ¼-cup portions of batter into the skillet and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Serve the corn cakes topped with the steak, corn, sour cream, salsa, Cheddar, avocado, cilantro, hot sauce, and lime wedges.