Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
Easy to assembly this Alton Brown recipe proves that a good salad is a snap to make.
- 8 ounces young spinach
- 2 large eggs, hard boiled
- 8 pieces thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ounces red onion (1 small), very thinly sliced
Take spinach and wash, drain and pat dry thoroughly. Place into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Remove and peel off the shells of both hard boiled eggs and slice each egg into 8 pieces and set aside.
Fry the bacon and remove to a paper towel to drain, reserving 3 tablespoons of the rendered fat. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
Transfer the fat to a small saucepan set over low heat and whisk in the red wine vinegar, sugar and Dijon mustard. Season with a small pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper.
Add the mushrooms and the sliced onion to the spinach and toss. Add the dressing and bacon and toss to combine. Divide the spinach between 4 plates or bowls and evenly divide the egg among them. Season with pepper, as desired. Serve immediately.