Barbeque Sweet Potato Chips
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon each of garlic powder, smoked paprika and kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Canola, vegetable, or peanut oil, for frying (About 1 quart)
- 1 large sweet potato very thinly sliced
Combine the spices in a small bowl and set aside. Pour one inch of oil into a large dutch oven or heavy pot over moderately high heat. Heat the oil until it reaches 375°F on a deep-fry thermometer. Adjust flame to maintain temperature. Working in batches, place the sweet potatoes in the hot oil, occasionally flipping and moving the slices with a slotted spoon. Fry the potatoes until the edges curl and the potatoes become golden brown and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer the fried potatoes to a baking sheet lined with paper towels and immediately sprinkle with some of the spice mix. When all of the chips are fried, transfer them to a large bowl or serving platter and sprinkle on any remaining spice mix. Serve immediately.